Wow, I thought this kind of thing was done away with years ago
Quote:The genocide and atrocities commited by the colonial dutch were probably not based on religion. They were based on system of religion and pure capitalism.
I don't agree. I think in that period, the operating rule was that might makes right. Even among European powers it was typical that if land could be taken by force, then you did take it. It's not a system of religious beliefs, or economic policy that shaped this mind set, but rather the experience of nations who endured thousands of years of internecine warfare. In many respects, the behaviors of the indigenous Americans was little different. The only difference between the American savages and the European savages was their technology. Perhaps you are confusing capitalism with greed.
Quote:You would hope so but they don't. Despite the still continuing bad influence of religion in europe (racism, inequality, hatred, child abuse, taking away people's freedoms) most europeans are having a quite good opinion of religion......that is of course their own religion, because everybody with a different religion is evil per definition.
Wow. The cup really is half empty with you.
Quote:Yep, try to say that in Spain, Italy, Poland, Greece, Ireland, the Balcans, South of Germany, there people don't hesitate to chase some non-believers (or gays, or raped women that want to have an abortion, or foreigners) out of their village with pitch-forks.
Certainly Europe is a tapestry of contradictions, just as is the USA. There are places where religious beliefs are more strongly held (and have been for centuries). I'm looking at places like Czech Republic, Denmark, heck, Scandinavia. Even the nations you have mentioned as strong holds have experienced vast declines in church attendance.
Quote:We in Holland had legislated religious tolerance, but after the arrival of religious immigrants, the welcoming in the EU of religious nations and the new era of populists what we are left with is social intolerance, but don't blame that on atheists.
Well, even though you have a plurality of non-believers within the Dutch population, you have become a minority within the EU. There's the riff-raff nations again... under educated, weak currencies, and knuckle dragging church goers.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Wow, I thought this kind of thing was done away with years ago - by kandrathe - 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM