Wow, I thought this kind of thing was done away with years ago
Quote:I might not agree with what Ake Green says, but I'll defend anyone's right to voice their opinion without being thrown in jail. This is not an isolated case. Every year, more and more "political correctness" and "thought police" laws get enacted. Where does it end? Not well.
Does it really not end well? Do we actually know that? Because all the societies walking down this road you find so horrible (I'm not a huge fan either, really) seem to be doing fine. The religious right gets in a twist about not being able to flog whatever racist/sexist/anti-gay/etcetera opinions they want, but by and large, they are left alone to practice their religion (which is hopefully does not revolve entirely around their most objectionable beliefs) and life goes on.

I'm with you that freedom of speech should take precedence. (Although abortion protesters do have to understand that other people have rights as well, and there is a line between voicing your opinion and harassing someone.) But has this really caused any serious problems? Is it likely to? I don't see it.

You'll note - the case against Ake Green was eventually dismissed, and it doesn't sound like he spend a single day in prison. Remember when the right was all in arms about the Mark Steyn case up in Canada? That also went nowhere. Courts exist for a reason. It seems like most of the cases you bring up end in exactly that way - remember the Pace, Florida principal?

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
Wow, I thought this kind of thing was done away with years ago - by Jester - 10-31-2009, 04:53 AM