School spies on kids through student laptops
Quote:... I'm not sure that public schools should be the ones providing the laptops, but if laptops are part of the curriculum the school should provide the laptops.
Here where I work, where possible, we are moving toward zero-client devices and offering various desktop flavors (Mac, Windows, Linux) over IP. The price per unit is down under $100 retail, and in volume you can procure them for about 1/2 that. You still need a keyboard, screen, and a mouse, but they are pretty cheap and many home TV's are now VGA compatible. The lifespan of the solid state device is also much greater than a laptop, or even a desktop. Still, it's not "mobile" computing, which I think is an unneeded convenience for K-12 anyway. My TI-33 was as significant an investment when they first became available. There are many, many pluses for PC over IP.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
School spies on kids through student laptops - by kandrathe - 02-25-2010, 12:58 AM