American ex-general claims Srebrenica fell partially due to homosexual
Quote:No because he was stupid enough to make a remark like that about an allied force. Or maybe he was just calculating for another christian government in the Netherlands. If not the chances that the public will support another US military campaign (or support) have gotten smaller again.

And as I said before, they don't need our 'enormous military power' but having our name on the list of supporters (next to a bunch of 3rd world countries and England) is important.
I just watched again on Youtube, this exchange, and Sheehan's point was the one I made above. The purpose of the military is to beat the snot out of your enemies, not as a means of equally representing all facets of society. For example, if you start comparing the ratios in higher ranking positions based on sex, race, religion, ethnic origin, or sexual orientation you are focused on social equality, and not on kicking the snot out of your enemy. Sheehan was saying that in his opinion, the Dutch were not focused on preparing a force for combat. I don't agree with all of his analysis, and I don't have a problem with gays in the military, but I do agree that the focus of a military needs to remain on capability rather than social justice. When the UCMJ is followed regarding fraternization, we have no problems. Rather than single out homosexuals in DADT, the code might be amended to prohibit any unprofessional sexual overtures regardless of sexual orientation. In the private sector as well, it is pretty much understood that dating your close co-workers can lead to problems, especially if it doesn't work out. The concern here is on unit effectiveness and cohesion, and not on ensuring that everyones feelings are unhurt.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
American ex-general claims Srebrenica fell partially due to homosexual - by kandrathe - 03-26-2010, 11:40 PM