Every company should be like Logitech
I bought a G5 gaming mouse a little over a year ago and I love it. It fits my hand nicely, I like the side buttons, and I even like the gimmicky adjustable weight cartridge. Unfortunately, it stopped registering right mouse clicks recently, seemingly at random.

So I looked up their warranty information for the G5, and it turns out it is 3 years. I sent off an email to them explaining the problem. I got a reply from Ferdinand within 24 hours, and after a couple of back and forth emails with him suggesting workarounds (use a different USB port, remove and re-install drivers, try on another computer), he agreed that it was a hardware fault.

He then asked me for a scan of my receipt and he would ship me a new one. The problem is, I didn't have a receipt. My wife cleaned out my computer hardware stash closet and threw out all my empty boxes, which was where I keep receipts. So I emailed Ferdinand back explaining this and attached a picture of myself holding the mouse up to the screen with his last email visible, and the serial number and model number of the mouse enlarged with photoshop and inset so it was really readable. I really didn't expect this to accomplish anything other than the show that I did indeed own the G5 and wasn't just trying to score a free mouse, but Ferdinand pulled through for me.

Quote:Thank you for sending the picutres, the effort is greatly appreciated (nice photoshop skills by the way). I am very sorry for the late response.

I'm sorry to hear that you no longer have the proof of purchase. We don't usually process a replacement without the proof of purchase. However, I really want to help you on this matter, so I consulted our warranty replacement department, and I was advised to make an exception for you.

We shall provide you with a one-time replacement in the absence of your receipt. However, we would require you to send back your defective item before we release the replacement. Kindly put your G5 Laser Mouse and all related hardware in a box (any box will do), then send it back to Logitech. We will provide the pre-paid return shipping label so you can send it back to us. Please expect the shipping label within 24 hours.

I would also like to inform you that G5 Laser mouse is not manufactured anymore. What we will be sending you as a replacement is one of our new device called G500 Mouse. Please visit our website for more information more about the device.

I am looking forward to your next response. Have a great day!

This is great customer service right here. They are pre-paying the shipping of my defective mouse back to them, then sending back the upgraded successor to the G5 back to me.

The G500 is a really awesome mouse!

It would have been incredibly easy for them to say "Sorry, without a receipt we cannot do anything". And I would have accepted that, albeit with great disappointment.

Logitech went above and beyond for me. I love their products, and I love them a whole lot more now as a company.

Messages In This Thread
Every company should be like Logitech - by DeeBye - 11-09-2010, 03:37 AM
A wet keyboard is usually fixable. - by --Pete - 11-12-2010, 09:16 AM