Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods...
Also just finished the game. Overall impression? Very positive. Kudos especially to the art direction, which presented a beautiful, coherent style for the game.

Spoilers below...

Overall, I thought the game fit the Deux Ex mould very nicely, and provided me with more than my money's worth. I played on Give Me Deus Ex, pacifist, which I think was the right decision. However, there were a few gripes.

First, the typhoon is *way* too powerful. On a pacifist run, I trivialized all the bosses past the first one - and I mean trivialized. All I did was wait for them to hit close range, use the typhoon, and eat candy bars if I ran out of energy. Boss = dead.

Second, I was swimming in praxis points. By the time I hit the one and only point where I needed them (saving Malik - you really are superman with full batteries, candy bars, and cloak...) There simply weren't enough things to spend your points on, which leads me to my next gripe...

Third, you don't really get to shape your character. Not really. By mid-way through, you can be everything at once, if you're playing carefully. There's no choice between the stealthy assassin, the brilliant hacker, or the aug'd-up killing machine. Just get everything that's good, and ignore the rest.

Fourth, while the "macro" writing on the game was very good - I liked the story, and while Megan's dubious nature was obvious from her outfit and strange facial expression (not to mention sci-fi tropes), I thought the pieces fit nicely... but the "micro" writing was not. People in Deus Ex should not be trusted, and yet, so many quests are the "fetch my puppy" variety. More work on that would have made the world seem much richer.

Favourite character? David Sarif. Nicely written, believable, not generic, but a well-fleshed out archetype of the corporate visionary... good show.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
RE: Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Jester - 10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bun-Bun - 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Lissa - 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Sacrificing Deus Ex to the gods... - by Bolty - 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM