I'm confused about the American Republican party
(02-14-2012, 07:54 AM)LavCat Wrote: Animal sacrifice is protected under free expression. How about human sacrifice?
Limits on practice were decided in Reynolds v US

I don't agree with that specific opinion(bigamy), but do in principle agree that "General Welfare" of the citizens is an area where legislation (against murder), and the courts have interest in defending us from the actions of others. I put the measure up against the libertarian filter of "harms". Marriage, being a religious sacrament, is wholly within a Church's sphere to regulate for its membership. I believe the government has historically and wrongfully intruded into this area. We wouldn't have the issues we have today with government sanctioned marriages if they had found a different way to describe the social contract part that is regulated. Even then, what right is it of the government to determine with who, and how many people we wish to enter into this type of social contract?

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm confused about the American Republican party - by kandrathe - 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM