I'm confused about the American Republican party
(03-03-2012, 01:29 PM)Jester Wrote: So, seems to me, we just have the conjunction of two trends: that blue states are more literate than red states, on the whole, and that migrants in any state are vastly less literate than the native-born population. Correct for the 2nd trend, and the 1st pops right out.

Well, I've always heard that Washington State is the most literate, followed by some other Northern states (including Minnesota :-) with Minneapolis and St. Paul both being in the top ten literate cities).

An issue here in some schools where there are lots of immigrants are that teachers are spread very thin teaching ESL, and trying to get their students scores on standardized tests highers. I have a relative who works at a Bloomington school where they have > 40 first languages represented.

Another issue for the south, is that they've traditionally been low tax, and low services states.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm confused about the American Republican party - by kandrathe - 03-03-2012, 06:13 PM