I'm confused about the American Republican party
(03-29-2012, 02:04 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 12:06 PM)Jester Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 10:57 AM)eppie Wrote: ... try looking at what you wrote from a neutral persons perspective.

How does one do that, exactly? We have values, and our interpretation is coloured by them. If we had no values at all, none of this would make sense to us - the questions would be meaningless.

-Jester

Thanks, Jester, you beat me to it.

To me, those are both personal freedom issues, so that's why I compared them, not putting relative values on them. Both are limiting others' freedom for ideological reasons, and I don't agree with either one.

Ok after this clarification I don't think anymore that this has to do with you political opinion but something far worse.

Maybe if you had written 'the right for gays to get married being approved' instead of 'gay people being approved' it would at least make sense.

If however you really mean what you wrote, do you also think the same about 'black people being approved'?

..., you are comparing a thing a person is born with to an object you buy.

In europe a man who says he is opposed to the right to bear arms and a man who says he is in favour of this can become president or prime minister anywhere. Someone that says he doesn't approve of gays will probably be only able to become president in Poland or so. Even in Italy or Ireland they wouldn't allow someone like that in office.

Not approving of gays is not an opinion, it is a useless statement. Like not approving of gravity or green grass. Being for or against guns is a political statement.
(03-29-2012, 09:34 PM)Mavfin Wrote: I wasn't assigning relative values to them, but Eppie obviously was.

Eppie will say gun control doesn't even belong on the same page with gay marriage, which IMO shows his political bias very clearly.

Ok, after reading this I see that you had just written down a different thing than you wanted to say. You talked about approval of being gay and never mentioned gay marriage, and neither did I.

Your last sentence quoted by me is thus incorrect.
Gay marriage and gun control could in principle be compared. But still that is something that I would never dare to do.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm confused about the American Republican party - by eppie - 03-30-2012, 06:49 PM