I'm confused about the American Republican party
(04-02-2012, 03:01 AM)AngryCommie Wrote: I know the point you are trying to make, and I'm not suggesting that hate speech be made illegal. I'm just suggesting that it not be under the same protection has non-hateful speech. One can say whatever you like to anyone, but if they get an undesired response from it, including one that results in retaliation toward said individual, I say they deserve it.

Your post, whether you intend it to or not, is still coming off as "I'm not saying I'll attack these guys I disagree with, but if someone else does, I'm going to turn the other way." I'm scratching my head as to how you can feel this is correct or justified. Just because you're not actively incurring the violence yourself doesn't mean you're not a part of a violent system that will strike down anyone you disagree with. Free speech doesn't work that way. Lots of people will disagree with your viewpoints; do you want them to "look the other way" while you're violently attacked?

I can sit here at an emotional level and think "man, Rush Limbaugh needs a punch in the mouth," but on an intellectual level, I recognize that his right to spew filth needs to be protected. Because, at the end of the day, someone out there wants to punch ME in the mouth for things I believe.

Okay, lots of people want to punch me in the mouth. Tongue
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm confused about the American Republican party - by Bolty - 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM