Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee
Well last I checked, we were discussing the viability of melee. In D1, the Warrior was viable - granted, it took more skill and different tactics than the other classes, especially if one shunned telekilling and such. There was a fair bit of gear farming required, whereas Mages could famously go Beyond Naked. But it could be done, and comfortably. Yes, a good deal of this had to do with the ability to endlessly spam instant full heal potions, but even they couldn't save you from being stunlocked if you did something stupid.

D2, there were a hundred problems melee had to cope with that ranged characters had little or nothing to do with. AR, clvl-mlvl curve, attacks like Infero and (post LoD) Arctic Blast. ITD attacks, which ranged characters kited. Two of the three ranged classes had their own brands of Golem, and Paladins had Conversion for temporary meat shields. The other class had Teleport. Then there's the reliance on gear drops, which of course weighed more heavily on anyone attempting melee. Nevermind the constant exposure to hard-hitting attacks, whereas a skilled ranged played could make it through entire areas without losing a single hitpoint. We won't even discuss 'Zons, who had the advantages of both range and benefiting from Leech mods.

And yeah, those of us here are generally above average players, but running melee in D2 is an exercise in pure masochism; there's no benefit to doing it. You can do it for the challenge if you like. Bragging rights, if it please you. But what few extra hp you might get from Vitality doesn't do enough to negate your constant exposure to danger. To say nothing of MSLEBs. Remember when it was INSTANT DEATH to melee them if you were even one pixel out of one of the safe areas from those ludicrous sprays? How FEBs would slaughter you instantly if you didn't block with your shield? D2 was a studying in screwing melee backwards and forwards. About the only substantial benefit was that little gap in Diablo's lightning hose.

Sirian's point is he doesn't want the same to be true in D3 and he fears it is and/or will be. I echo the sentiment because I prefer melee if the option is on par with ranged, because knowing myself for a skilled player, and playing with people who - aside from those I know from here or AB - are less skilled than myself, I like the idea of protecting them. So I'd like to be able to hunker down with a shield and let my buddies do their best Van Helsing impressions with dual crossbows or fling about a few sprays of magic if such is their wont. But it's not going to be fun for me if I'm going to have to spend as much time kiting as they do. Then I'm not doing my job, and I'm not having fun.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee - by ViralSpiral - 06-01-2012, 01:52 AM