Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee
Quote:And healing potions do? The Templar's heals do?
And? No one's claiming that those are terribly useful in the endgame either.

Quote:Which the Demon Hunter flat out doesn't get. The ONLY class without any buffs available to them.

The DH doesn't have passive mitigation but they have plenty of snares and escapes. Most melee would absolutely love the ability to spec as offensively as a DH, while I don't see DH's clamoring to be able to sacrifice damage for defense.

Quote:As for low DPS, melee can survive with 14k DPS in Inferno.
For various definitions of "survive".

Quote:At just shy of 20k DPS, I can't do enough damage to mobs at the entrance to Act II before they can kill me.
This is not a problem unique to DH's. The difference between melee and ranged in this case, is that you can stack enough damage to get over that hump (of killing things before they reach you). Melee can't, unless they're hugely overgeared.

Quote:Offense is the only defense a ranged class has, especially a Demon Hunter, because we flat out can't tank the damage.
Melee isn't tanking anytihng in inferno unless a. you have superlative gear, or b. you have a bar full of defensive skills. This game is about killing things and taking their loot, so I question the utility of b.

And offense is not the only defense ranged classes have. All classes have access to snares, escapes, CC, as well as some form of (active or passive) mitigation. Melee might be able stack more defense by burning more skill slots, but combined with the necessity to gear more defensively that totally gimps your damage output, which makes it a pointless exercise.

Quote:Monks and Barbarians can.
See above.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Math - The Failure of Diablo Melee - by Athenau - 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM