Are there any sites with good boss AI and ability descriptions?
I just beat Rakanoth in hell, and it was pretty easy compared to what I had experienced before. Staying just out of melee range worked wonders. I think I had trouble the first time, because when I tried to keep Rakanoth at the edge of the screen, I think it may have pulled the Templar off Rakanoth -- and I think when he doesn't have anyone in melee range, he's more likely to use his teleport special rather than his other specials.

When I tried him out in lower difficulties (with low dps weapons), I noticed that he had this kind of pattern with his specials:

1. A damage spray
2. A damage spray that spawns two adds
3. A damage spray
4. A teleport/smash attack

When the pattern got messed up by Rakanoth teleporting due to me going too far away or the Templar running after an add rather than staying on Rakanoth, then the pattern wouldn't be in exactly that order, but once the everything was set up again the teleport/smash (or whatever the technical name for it is) still seemed to be every 4 special attacks. It's probably tied to a cooldown of some kind.

So, this time, it wasn't hard, since he was only teleporting every 30 seconds or so. I could either potion through it if I got hit or if my Diamond Skin was up, I could absorb it.

And, now, I see a video explaining a much better method for dealing with Rakanoth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXJqhqdOAhE

So, basically, you can interrupt Rakanoth's special attacks with any kind of stun (frost nova or wave of force for wizards). That makes sense and would've been a lot easier. OK, knowledge filed away for Inferno.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are there any sites with good boss AI and ability descriptions? - by MongoJerry - 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM