Hey, here is one way to get more voter support
(07-06-2012, 06:54 AM)Taem Wrote: I never said we should wait for Mexico to change, or at least, what I was trying to convey was that we don't need to only focus on our issues here in the US, but can help Mexico by not interfering with them in an confrontational manner - such as by telling them what they need to do to stop the war on drugs - and instead focus on teaching their citizens to be better people, the same way we are doing it in Afghanistan.

This is the type of thinking that kills me about our government. I love my country, I love my freedoms, but I also can admit that there are a lot of fundamentally broken parts of the process.

The idea, that our government wishes to impart "U R DOOIN IT RONG" signs on the rest of the world drives me bananas. At times, it is as if they don't look at history, culture, religion or the lack there of, when they decide they want too...... "help".

Things work the way they work in the US by and large because of the country's history, and it's people's history.

The same thing isn't going to work in Afghanistan, or Iraq, or Egypt, or other places.

The culture is different. Their values are different. Even assuming that the general non oppressed populace of the world could agree that something isn't right, making changes, and trying to say "u shuld do it lak meh" isn't the answer.

As I'm growing older, I am more sad than anything at the "borg mentality" that I sometimes feel is generated by my fellow Americans and our Government.

oh man... I made a Star Trek reference. Someone shoot me.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hey, here is one way to get more voter support - by shoju - 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM