US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(07-10-2012, 03:48 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: From physical healthcare talk to 'moral' health. Oh but wait, that must be the cool people looking down and persecuting the 'Good People' that cares about decency. Nay, moral decency! Any criticism you say just reinforces how persecuted I am.
I'll reply here, but its to Deebye, Jester, and Mav, and etc. as well.

I'm far from a "Moral decency" person here, and in fact I think people are "labled" such whenever they address the topic of practicing self control on what we can general call public expression in public places. As a parent, I'm describing my experiences, which I can only reflect upon from my own childhood, which may have been naive and sheltered, I don't know.

Jester made the charge, and continues to stand by the idea that things are as they've always been, so what's the big deal? Everyone has chimed in with a "Yeah, me too, I watched Pepe' La Pew growing up and I didn't become a French masher"

My response was to link to actual studies by psychologists and the APA who state that we have a culture that is increasing impacted by their increased participation in media whether that is violence, sexuality, vulgarity, or commercialization.

Your anecdotes may be more accurate than actual research.

We got here because someone suggested that someone else "Grow a Pair" -- to which someone became offended with the implication that positive attributes such as courage, tenacity, and assertiveness require testicles. I tend to expand things into the general, and stated my observations on our society. To me, it's not limited to that phrase, but to a general trend of vulgarizing our culture. I've tried to back up my stated perception with actual studies to show this from the APA, and etc.

We have the freedom to fart loudly in public, but I hope we have the good manners and muscle control to refrain. It's this unwritten law of self control which applies to that space we share, whether its a public commons, the commercial air waves, or the internet. What we don't need is a law prohibiting flatulence.

Quote:But seriously, the important thing is we're no longer discussing Obamacare...
What's to discuss? We will do as the government tells us.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act - by kandrathe - 07-10-2012, 05:24 PM