US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(07-10-2012, 05:24 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Jester made the charge, and continues to stand by the idea that things are as they've always been, so what's the big deal?

I would go a great deal further than that. I think that, in almost any respect one cares to measure, we are safer, happier, healthier, more inclusive and more respectful (in the sense of *everyone's*rights being respected....) than at more or less any point in history.

Quote:My response was to link to actual studies by psychologists and the APA who state that we have a culture that is increasing impacted by their increased participation in media whether that is violence, sexuality, vulgarity, or commercialization.

You linked to one study, based entirely on self-reporting questionnaires given to kids (that is, not linked to any outcomes, no actual data on violence, sexuality, or anything else), that showed that there is a strong-ish correlation among (self-reported) exposure to media, violence, and vulgarity. Given that this study explicitly makes no claim about causality (and could not in any case), and their result is intuitively obvious (badly parented kids are more prone to almost all bad behaviours), I don't see how this comes within a country mile of proving your case.

(Ah, right. And a generic link to the APA. Missed that. But those aren't studies.)

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act - by Jester - 07-10-2012, 07:13 PM