Replacing the Rig - Advice Needed
Ugh.

I've just realised that when I built this PC I decided to save a fair amount of cash and bought a system builder's OEM version of Windows 7. I always assumed I could just reinstall Windows on my new machine, but nope - while you can with regular versions of the OS, apparently you can't with an OEM.

May as well fall into the same trap twice. Win7 OEMs are about the same price as Win8 OEMs, but despite everything I am still leery about installing Windows 8. Funny thing is that the 64-bit and 32-bit versions are also roughly the same price. Pennies between the two.

Last time I bought a 32-bit OS. I'm not sure if I should have gone for a 64-bit one. Now that I'm faced with the choice again I'm still not sure. Bear in mind this rig would be used mainly for gaming, internet browsing, and my sister's teaching work. So I have a few more questions for this thread:

1) Would a 64-bit OS work with the computer I'm about to assemble: Intel Core i5 3570k, 16GB RAM, yadda yadda yadda? Would it just fail to work completely, or would I see a performance hit or, dare I say it, a performance boost?
2) What would I be able to do with Win7 64 assuming the answer to the previous question goes that way? I know WoW has a 64-bit client, but I've kinda fallen out of love with the game. A few other games might be able to run in 64-bit mode, but I'm not sure which. But if someone lists something snazzy I might be able to do with a 64-bit OS, I may jump on it.
3) What would I not be able to do with Win7 64? Are there any major hardware/software compatibility issues that I should be aware of?

I'm doing a little research on the side, and so far I get the impression that if I'm going with 16GB of RAM that I will need a 64-bit OS. Sigh. I'm beginning to long for the days when all I had to do was just reach for my copy of 98SE and install it on whatever I pleased...

In fact...

4) Dual- or tri-booting Win7/98/Linux: Am I insane? Tongue
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386

Messages In This Thread
Replacing the Rig - Advice Needed - by NiteFox - 04-27-2013, 04:39 PM
RE: Replacing the Rig - Advice Needed - by Lissa - 04-28-2013, 03:27 AM
RE: Replacing the Rig - Advice Needed - by NiteFox - 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM
RE: Replacing the Rig - Advice Needed - by Lissa - 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM