Cooling down without Air Conditioners
The Water Furnace idea strikes me as being closely linked to the management of an aquifer. That topic has been of considerable interest here in Texas for some time, particuarly as most aquifers in this state have been in a slow decline for a few decades.

I suppose my question would be on the best water removal method: When the ground water absorbs the heat, does the water then "naturally" filter back down into the ground, is it sent "downstream" with river flow, is it put to some other use, or is it pumped back into the ground? The site suggests a return well, depending on the system chosen, so I suppose that the conductive heat transfer with the ground itself should, in time, return the water to the temperature of the local underwater source. I find it odd that the site almost Poo Poo's the problem of aquifer management, but it may be aimed at northern and central latitudes.

Your comment on the problems with using such a system in a city strike me as a part of the challenge. The other challenge is in the competing uses for ground water for other infrastructure, or for example, agricultural needs.

Neat link in any case. :)

My townhouse in Virginai Beach, mid 80's, had a heat pump, and all was well until January rolled around one year with temps in the single digits. My heating bill sky rocketed. That little system was not built for such extremes. :(
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Cooling down without Air Conditioners - by DeeBye - 09-29-2003, 02:55 AM
Cooling down without Air Conditioners - by Bob - 09-29-2003, 09:33 AM
Cooling down without Air Conditioners - by DeeBye - 09-29-2003, 11:18 AM
Cooling down without Air Conditioners - by --Pete - 09-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Cooling down without Air Conditioners - by Occhidiangela - 09-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Cooling down without Air Conditioners - by Bob - 09-29-2003, 05:11 PM
Cooling down without Air Conditioners - by --Pete - 09-29-2003, 06:29 PM