Threads
I have a question about how we want this implemented.

Currently what I have going (sans any sort of formatting, which is more important than you might think) is for it to show the post you clicked on at the top like normal, show the titles and authors of any direct replies as links (like it does normally). Then it shows the tree as links with the ability to collapse and expand like we have now, then it shows the title and the body of every post in threaded order. There are still some kinks I need to work out that I just haven't had time to get to, but my worry is that using the threaded view doesn't pay any attention to the number of pages in a topic. It shows every post in the thread (in threaded order). So, my question is, is this going to be a problem? We get some really large threads on this board and having it load every post in a 5 page thread could be an issue. However I thought this is how the old forums handled it if you used the view all option. Regardless of the number of "pages" you saw every post in the thread when you viewed all. Is that correct, do we really care as long as threaded view users can see all the posts without having to click each one? Let me know your thoughts.

As to any questions of "can I see what you have done so far". Right now, no. The server I am on does have limited bandwidth, and I am not actually paying for any of it, so I don't want to say, hey come here and look at this, and eat up the bandwidth. I also know what a lot of the current problems are, and how to fix some of them, I just haven't had the time to get all of it done, so some of the feedback would be wasted. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be to a point where I can actually demo some stuff and get some feedback on it. I also need to do a bit more documentation on what I did to insure that it can be replicated. :)

I just wanted some feedback on a few of the implementation steps and to give the Lurkers who are waiting and hoping an update. But again, I am slow, crotchety and prefer to poke at stuff like this alone most of the time, so don't pin a lot of hopes up just yet.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
Threads - by the Langolier - 02-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Threads - by Kevin - 02-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Threads - by Kevin - 03-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Threads - by Bolty - 03-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Threads - by Kevin - 03-11-2003, 03:54 AM