The First Offensive! It has happened!
Albion Child, there's a difference between understanding a war and understanding what you can do about it... You've refused to separate yourself from what you can and cannot control in this life when it comes to the war.

Aside from paying taxes, there's not much else I can physically do to further the military operations or political agendas of my government and country. In the most pragmatic sense, how does gluing my butt in front of CNN's banner for non-stop marathons of doing nothing but quake in my undies "win the war!?"

They won't let me in a front-line combat unit, no matter how much I have (and had) desired to (I lay you 8 to 5 odds which section of the Army I wanted to sign in on). That has rather cheesed me on the whole matter of participation. They won't let me participate, so my emotional investment here home can do nothing to contribute. It will only detract from my personal advancement without furthering anyone elses'.

And if you automatically equate apathy with ignorance, I will gently remind you of my previous points that, in a fair and smart world, the information the media commits to us should be a choice, not a mandate of ratings and attention-grabbing. I've seen it, dude. Seen absence of information played in a continuous loop as the news engines idle around, waiting for news that I have no influence over and that I can just as readily and easily digest tomorrow in the printed paper, rather than absorb it with the instant-horror of live TV coverage.

One may be mistaken that I'd go to a movie or stroll idly through the streets, completely blissful in ignorance of the duty and sacrifice of the thousands of young people who stand before the spears of war in defense of me. But while the body denies, the dark spark that lays in my breast still burns with a fury I know not many could fathom, nor I wish most people to ever know...I'm not happy doing nothing, being able to do nothing, nor asked to submit my strengths to the call because they fear I will fail them. So don't even dare to imply that I'm leeching off the blood and sweat of others, not when I have heart to tear a swath through all who threaten the lives of all that I love! But furthermore, those who bear the strength and arms to inflict harm must be the servants of the peaceful and powerless citizens they are sworn to defend. The day when the military bears dominion over the civilian, where he who serves comes to believe that he is the one who rules, is the day America truly lies in peril.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.

Messages In This Thread
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-20-2003, 05:57 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Rhydderch Hael - 03-20-2003, 07:21 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Roland - 03-20-2003, 08:56 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Nystul - 03-20-2003, 09:52 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by pakman - 03-20-2003, 05:17 PM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-21-2003, 01:02 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by --Pete - 03-21-2003, 01:15 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-21-2003, 01:51 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-22-2003, 12:11 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-26-2003, 07:52 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Jester - 03-26-2003, 11:17 PM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-27-2003, 07:59 AM