The First Offensive! It has happened!
The UN is, militarily, ridiculous, unless certain Big Dogs play. So be it, that is old news.

On your last points, though.

Quote: I am sure the primary targets to disable the country will be radar transmitters and power plants.

Yes to the radar transmitters, no to the power plants. Leaving the power plants in place is critical to a successful achievement of the stated political aims: 'liberate Iraq' and help its people to move forward into a post Saddam, and hopefully better, future.

I would even go so far as to say that many radar transmitters that operate at civil air facilities will be left alone, approach control radar at some airports, etc. Weather radar at Baghdad airport hardly need taking out, for example. Radar transmitter bands are easy to determine with modern ESM equipment. That kind of care can be taken, and I suspect it will be taken.

Having to rebuild the entire Iraqi infrastructure is completely at odds with the political aim. This conflict is NOT an instant replay of 1991, it is a different kettle of fish. The long term betterment of the average Iraqi on the street is a stated aim. Now, whether that is achievable at the point of a bayonet is an extremely good question. How Iraqi's will react to their 'liberation' is anyone's guess.

The comparitively blunt intstrumeht approach of 1991 is not suitable to the current political aims, as publicly stated, and would simply add to the cost and trouble of rebuilding Iraq once the shoooting stops, which is also a stated aim. I would expect to see no public utilities, no bridges, not major rail lines, damaged on purpose, and indeed, serous efforts to stem and stop oil refinery and oil field damage, which will be post war Iraq's economic life blood.

In any case, whoever moves on rail and bridge systems is exposed and basically toast. One thing that was well taught in the last edition: If you move, when your foe has air supremacy over the battlefield, you die if he troubles himself to shoot at you.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-20-2003, 05:57 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Roland - 03-20-2003, 08:56 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Nystul - 03-20-2003, 09:52 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by pakman - 03-20-2003, 05:17 PM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-21-2003, 01:02 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by --Pete - 03-21-2003, 01:15 AM
The First Offensive! It has happened! - by Dani - 03-21-2003, 01:51 AM