The barber appreciation thread
I love barbers, and I hate "unisex hair salons" with their fancy-dancy "hair stylists".

Barbers know how to cut a man's hair. The hair stylists at a salon do not.

It doesn't matter whether the hair stylist at the salon is male or female; they can't cut a man's hair. Every time I've ever had my hair cut at a unisex hair salon from a unisex hair stylist I've always regretted it. They would take about ten minutes to hack away at my hair like an Amazonian explorer with a dull machete, then charge me $87 for the process. I've never had a good haircut at a unisex hair salon from a hair stylist.

I had the day off of work today (yay! 5 day weekend!) so I figured it was a good day to get a haircut.

I was looking a little bit like
[Image: chewbacca.jpg]

... haircut time!

I had to wait a bit in my barber shop, which gave me some time to absorb the atmosphere and consider a few things about why barbers > hair stylists.

My barber shop had great magazines for male-oriented perusal. Most of them were about fishing, golfing, cars, and other testosterone-related activities. I think I might even have spotted a couple of Playboys in the pile.

Hair salons always have a bajillion issues of Vogue and Cosmo. I'd rather read a Mars bar wrapper.

There was a tiny black and white TV in the corner tuned to whatever channel that had any amount of sports-related programming. Excellent.

There were three chairs (which looked like they were installed in the late 60's), manned by three prototypical barbers. The barbers looked like
[Image: stalinbarber.jpg]

(Stalin always did have a great head of hair)

When it was my turn to climb into the chair, all I had to say to the barber was, "number two blade on the sides and back; leave a couple inches on the top and front". And then the barber proceeded to give me the best haircut I've ever had.

The mark of a truly great barber is measured by what he does with his clippers. A good barber will trim up those errant nose and ear hairs without comment. Men sometimes sprout a disproportionate amount of hair from those two orifaces. "Hair Stylists" won't touch 'em, but barbers understand and make sure they are kept under control.

A barber ain't a barber until he pulls the straight razor out. My barber always uses a straight razor and hot shaving cream (dispensed from a 1920's era machine) to clean up my 'burns and neck.

My awesome haircut cost me $12. I tipped my barber $2. It was money well-spent, and I look forward to my next visit.

Messages In This Thread
The barber appreciation thread - by DeeBye - 04-09-2004, 04:57 AM
The barber appreciation thread - by Walkiry - 04-09-2004, 01:40 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by [wcip]Angel - 04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by Lady Vashj - 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by Yrrek - 04-09-2004, 05:20 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by DeeBye - 04-10-2004, 03:40 AM
The barber appreciation thread - by DeeBye - 04-10-2004, 05:36 AM
The barber appreciation thread - by kandrathe - 04-10-2004, 02:07 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by AtomicKitKat - 04-10-2004, 03:14 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by Tal - 04-10-2004, 03:49 PM
The barber appreciation thread - by [wcip]Angel - 04-10-2004, 04:04 PM