Einstein and his Theory of Relativity....
Hi,

Chaerophon,Oct 21 2004, 08:55 AM Wrote:I'm not a physicist, but wow.  That's pretty neat.  Space is cool :D  I'll bet this is right up Pete's ally.
[right][snapback]57874[/snapback][/right]

More avocational than vocational. And, being semi-retired, maybe not even that :)

It is pretty neat stuff, especially in that it shows that some of the more 'weird' extrapolations of general relativity are slightly more probable. That FTL ship may still be in our future :)

However, nothing ever 'proves' a theory. At most, it offers an additional case which the theory supports. Indeed, as time goes by I become more and more convinced that all of our theories will be just 'models' and none will ever fully explain the phenomena. At each stage, the models will open lines of investigation which will uncover phenomena that will require a yet more complex model to describe. I used to agree with Einstein but no longer -- I now think that nature is, fundamentally, unknowable. The good news is that if an immortality drug were discovered, I could still have a job 'for life'. :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Messages In This Thread
Einstein and his Theory of Relativity.... - by --Pete - 10-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Einstein and his Theory of Relativity.... - by Guest - 10-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Einstein and his Theory of Relativity.... - by Guest - 10-26-2004, 03:55 AM
Einstein and his Theory of Relativity.... - by Guest - 10-26-2004, 04:15 AM
Einstein and his Theory of Relativity.... - by Guest - 10-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Einstein and his Theory of Relativity.... - by Guest - 10-27-2004, 04:52 PM