Working on a Zealot (or other type of pally)
mageofthesands,Jan 18 2005, 02:40 PM Wrote:Normally I'd scan the Basin, but you know the troubles it's having right now.  I got a friend to buy D2, and tonight is going to be his first game.  I recommended a zookeeper necro for him since he liked my hoards in Guild Wars and that's the build I started with.  I want to build a palladin to support his minions.  I figured I'd finally build that Zealot I've been meaning to try again since 1.04.  I was thinking to max Sacurfice, Zeal, Fana, and Holy Shield.  I'd put a point in a few other auras after the build is done so I could assist in other ways.  Is this really something I should be doing?  Should I be putting less points into Zeal and it's synergy?  Or should I try a Tesladin zealot?  Or even an Avenger with high level conviction?  This is going to be for softcore ladder.  I'm not rich by any means so I should have a build based around a piece of equipment.
[right][snapback]65799[/snapback][/right]

If your aim is to be his support Paladin . . . Consider two paths.

1. Physical support. Fanatacism damage bonus for your minions/party is cut in half. Concentration's radius expands with each skill point, and loses not bonus. For what it's worth, you still want high AR.

A Rogue Mercenary's Inner Sight, at high levels, really works down the DR of foes, which removes some of the AR burden.

His zoo can approach 90%+ to hit if one of you uses a Rogue Merc. Down side is that you have to rely on the AI to cast Inner Sight, and you may want more control than that.

Stack Might on top of Concentration, so all minions are always "on" with no damage reduction, (talking 5-700 % increasae in damage, depending on + skills luck) or go ahead and use Fanaticism. His minions will probably not notice the loss of damage. This brings you to Mercs. Might merc for one of you, the other either a Rogue or Blessed Aim. You don't want to miss with Vengeance, when you have to use it. The closer you come to ITD, the faster you will kill stuff.

2. Spells.

Completely change your focus. Vengeance and Conviction. His Spell Mages will benefit from conviction. IIRC, Conviciton and Lower Resist stack. Conviction's DR reduction will put you in high % to hit. One Might Merc, and one either Thorns for the horde so that IM is not a requirement. Or, Prayer to keep the minions juiced up . . . lots of choices. BA won't hurt, though it won't help as much.

I'd guess killing speed would probably be a bit less if you go for magic emphasis, but it would work. Drink a blue here and there, or sit for a few moments with Meditation to recharge you both. Plenty of fun to fear no Immunity.

My Two Lire.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Working on a Zealot (or other type of pally) - by Occhidiangela - 01-25-2005, 03:45 PM