How to get enough gold to buy your mount at L40
Well, I've been saving up since level 10. So, at level 28 and @12g, I feel I'm doing so-so despite my saving efforts. Some advice:

1) Avoid enchanters like the plague. They are the antichrist of money, a black void where all green drops go. Since a close friend of mine is the shaman of our permanent group, this is rather difficult ;]. Then again, when he gets to high enchanting, the free enchants I get will probably repay this.

2) Know what to vendor and what to AH. Usually, random beast parts get vendor'd by me, and all greens, stacks of raw materials I don't need, and the odd good crafting product get auctioned.

3) Pick a good job. I've done mining/engineering and mining/smithing thus far, and they seem about even. Smithing seems less profitable, but the ability to make keys and some of my own gear, as well as some things that people will buy at the AH for 20s... I'm pleased. I can't think of a bad job, other than enchanting.

4) Keep your materials. I sold about 60 bronze on the AH for about 2g, but I'd rather have that for the 30 smithing it'd give me. Ah well. Same goes for cloth and its use in most professions as well as first aid. Then again, if you're in a guild, spare materials (indeed, all my cloth) will go to those that can use it. I've sent several gold worth of cloth to my other friend, a tailor, but my set of 10slot bags makes up for it.

5) Don't buy anything from the auction house. Quest and craft your gear. It's a bit late for that now, but hey, it might save you a gold or two.

Is there a way to summarize this? Be greedy, but not too greedy. Give people in your guild only what they need badly, not what they want. As I've randomly given away 42 wool to someone who wanted to level first aid (when I ought to have used it for my own first aid), I don't exactly practice what I preach, but I can't complain, as I'm in rather good finances at the moment.
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

"Of Death" Sir Francis Bacon

Messages In This Thread
How to get enough gold to buy your mount at L40 - by Thawwing Light - 02-06-2005, 09:07 PM