Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers.
Sony has no ability to change the laws of the land. Theft is still theft, and anything that is not theft is unlikely to become it. All this is is Sony setting up a pseudo-legal bubble, under the protection of agreements you automatically sign in order to use their service, to regulate in-game trade.

There is no ability, as of yet, to sue someone for taking your TehUBARLOOTZ!, or whatever other crazy rights people might come to think they have.

People can, and will, take up their problems with Sony. What they decide to do within their own game is really up to them, but it has no legal weight whatsoever, as far as I know.

And, of course, if one doesn't like it, like all games from Diablo through to Roulette, one is free to walk away from the table at any time.

Jester

Edit: Come to think of it, I suppose there could be some theoretical argument about the in game "objects" having value. However, much like bets made with friends, I don't think they represent an enforceable contract, and therefore would be ignored by the courts. And, in any case, your contract is with Sony, not with the people playing around you. I think it's pretty much buyer beware.

Messages In This Thread
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Jester - 04-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-23-2005, 08:14 PM