Sensible and tasty chicken recipes
I was hoping this thread would see more action than it had as I love to try new recipes. Then I realized I'm not contributing either.

So I'll offer up one of my favorites. It's really easy and fast, and it's nearly impossible to screw up if you like to experiment.

4 large chicken breasts (thawed)

Baste with:

2 tbs oil (you pick, different oils can change the flavor for some variety)
1 tbs mustard (again I've tried lots of different types and they're all different but good)
1 tbs lemon juice (I've also used lime)
1 1/2 tbs lemon pepper
1 tsp oregano (or basil if you prefer)
dash of hot red pepper to taste

Cook in any way you want. My favorite way is to bake it (covered). The juice (part baste and part natural chicken) that is left over is really good mixed with rice, so I cook up a batch of rice and some vegetables to eat with it. I spoon the juice onto the rice and it's very good. It's a little spicy (and could be revved up considerably if you like that).

It's not a marinade (just a baste) so you don't have to remember to marinate.

My all-time favorite chicken dish is not particularly easy and definitely not fast, but I'll include that too just for grins.

Chicken breast
Red potatoes
Cheese (my favorite is Monterey Jack for this)
Italian seasonings
Garlic
Chicken broth (I actually just use water and chicken bouillion cubes as it's cheaper but the canned chicken broth you can buy works great)

Chop the potatoes into small pieces. In a skillet, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Put the potatoes in and boil until the potatoes are cooked (but not mush -- this takes some practice to get right). Drain.

Separately, cube the chicken into 1" squares or so. Fry with a bit of oil (I use a wok) and spice heavily (I like lots of garlic).

Layer the cooked potatoes on the bottom of a flat casserole dish. Put an even layer of the cooked chicken over that. Grate the cheese and spread evenly on top. Bake just long enough to melt the cheese and enjoy.

The trick to this dish is cooking red potatoes in chicken broth. It's really tasty. Pretty labor intensive and uses a lot of dishes. This can keep me busy cooking for nearly an hour.

Messages In This Thread
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by vor_lord - 10-24-2005, 03:24 AM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by Guest - 10-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by Ashock - 10-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by Minionman - 10-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by Ashock - 10-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by Doc - 10-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by DeeBye - 10-25-2005, 03:29 AM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by whyBish - 10-25-2005, 05:09 AM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by Kruxx06 - 10-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by ima_nerd - 10-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Sensible and tasty chicken recipes - by Doc - 10-28-2005, 08:36 PM