Trying hard to convince myself to buy a new comp
Personally, I love laptops, so don't listen to any of those desktop naysayers.

A Pentium M is just fine for gaming, and as others have said it's a much, much better laptop chip than the obsolete P4. My advice -- don't consider any laptop with a P4.( I've no experience with the AMD chips, but some of them might be an option too.) The graphics card and hard-drive speed are usually a much bigger bottleneck on laptops than the cpu anyway.

The other piece of advice I'd give is to look pretty skeptically at the boutique gaming laptopss. There are a limited number of laptop manufacturers, and most of the boutique models are based on a standard chasis that you can get elsewhere for much less. At least, before you plunk down a lot of money for one, figure out what model a laptop is based on, how solid that model is really is (reviews, especially reviews of new bleeding edge laptops, are often unreliable and overly full of praise, and resellerratings.com doesn't always tell the whole story), and what it --- or a similar model --- would cost from a mainstream source.

I don't have any personal experience with the companies you mention, but Sager seems to have a good reputation, while I would avoid WidowPC, and I've read a lot of complaints about Alienware...

Messages In This Thread
Trying hard to convince myself to buy a new comp - by Thecla - 11-06-2005, 09:09 PM