The Great Race; a proposal for "Khalim" awards
Ferengi,Oct 10 2003, 12:22 PM Wrote:Nice times.
I agree. Zofox has nice times.

I've been doing a lot of diddling, partly in response to some techniques Zofox mentioned, so I've not had any time to post comments. Good stuff Zofox.

But here is a Ferengi inspired thought for "team" play... (in other words, I am not recommending this, merely toying with the theoretical efficiency issues, as inspired by some of Ferengi's comments on the realities of team xp/item grinding)...

Imagine, for v1.10 Ladder, we have a loose association of 8 players (or more, so always 8 are "available) who each have double character access (e.g. two accounts, possibly two PCs... in any event they can always log in a character easily when called upon by the association). This could be friends or a club or a guild, whatever. (It could also be fewer than 8 people, if some of them have more than double access).

Now let's add in the thought that they have access to a teleporting character (Sorc or via charges) that can open the way to the MooMooFarm (whatever difficulty) and teleport about in that level without undue risk.

If that character creates a game (Ladder), and summons 7 associates to bring in (temp, not for play) characters, then when that character zips about the Farm rapidly they will instantiate Bovines, locking them in at Players 8 xp.

This should not take long at all (start game, waypoint to Stony Field, tele about for Stonehenge, warp into Tristram and Wirt's body for his leg, TP, create red portal, 7 others now in game, enter Farm and do rapid full map teleport, TP).

At this point any of the association's real characters that wants to clear a cow level for xp can enter the game (or they could already have been one of the 8, which I suppose means 7 people in the association is really enough) and proceed, even though all the transient characters leave.

The teleportist and the transient characters are now set to quickly do this again, so another association member can have a cow level to themselves. Given the likely amount of time to clear a cow level vs. the setup/tele time, I imagine we can effectively mass produce players 8 cow levels for all members of the association to be leveling in "simultaneously".

Naturally, if there is a public no-PK or cow competition players 7 game acceptably open, then this overheard wouldn't be necessary. But in my conception you don't want to waste time if such a game isn't available, since the team is churning though cow games back to back with rapidity. In the suggested scheme, except for the teleportist, the members of the association have very little extra effort required (they must respond to the call to put their dummy char into the new cow game being set up within the game start to red portal up window and that's it).
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits

Messages In This Thread
The Great Race; a proposal for "Khalim" awards - by Crystalion - 10-12-2003, 08:15 AM