Diablo X, Things, and Such
Quote:That’s the reason I can’t stand the conversations from players who claim that did this or that when it surely contradicts the way the game works.

I once had a rather annoying conversation with a pair of "legits" (KIN clansters) that wandered into DSF-1. I don't know how we got onto the topic, but both claimed that they had been able to buy Holy Full Plates (and above) from Wirt. They insisted that his price cap was "bugged", which resulted in the occasional offerings of some outlandish items at rock-bottom prices.

I refuted the statements.

When I quoted JG, they said Jarulf didn't know [expletive]. They said his guide was wrong, and I was an idiot for believing it. They cited "gaming experience", but I also had a fair bit of that same ammunition myself. I ended up having to squlech them both due to extreme "LOL wut a LOOOZER!" statements. Fun stuff.

I also used to run a bot in DSF-1 :ph34r: It had the ability to read the major stats of Diablo 1 clients logged into the channel (this information is, or at least was, readily broadcasted to all clients -- but the only clients set up to decipher the information were bots). I used to see all sorts of "legits" join DSF-1 with crazy, hacked-up stats. I've read Armin's Stance on Scanners, so I knew never to fully trust the information my bot gave me. But time and time again, after a few well-worded whispered queries, I learned that the stats displayed to me were 100% correct.

So yeah, I used to jump down the throats of newcomers who joined with a clvl 20 Mage with PERFECT stats and 3 billion gold pieces. It was more common than you think.

The end result was that I never fully trusted an unknown "legit" that landed in DSF-1, if I hadn't seen him/her post on Battle.net's old Diablo Strategy Forum first. That's not to say that I've never become good gaming buddies with non-DSFers, though. There are quite a few people who used to hang out in DSF-1 that never posted in DSF, who hold the same ideals of being legit as I do. Maybe even more so.

The long and short of the matter is that no-one can just join DSF-1, declare to all "I am Legit!", and be immediately accepted as such. It sucks, but that's the way it is. Building trust takes time. You cannot force it upon someone.

-DeeBye

Messages In This Thread
Diablo X, Things, and Such - by Duke_of_Anarchy - 07-21-2003, 05:10 AM
Diablo X, Things, and Such - by Lunar-Moon - 07-21-2003, 06:06 AM
Diablo X, Things, and Such - by GhastMaster - 07-21-2003, 07:14 AM
Diablo X, Things, and Such - by Draconis - 07-21-2003, 09:09 AM
Diablo X, Things, and Such - by LemmingofGlory - 07-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Diablo X, Things, and Such - by SteinHerz - 07-22-2003, 12:30 AM
Diablo X, Things, and Such - by Lunar-Moon - 07-22-2003, 02:40 AM
Diablo X, Things, and Such - by DeeBye - 07-22-2003, 04:21 AM