Has Comcast improved their service & customer service?
Greetings,

I vaguely remember a couple of years ago there were a couple of threads here discussing high-speed internet connections and cable hook-ups, & there were several criticisms of Comcast.

At that time, the only option I had for a high-speed net connection was via cable but since I didn't have basic cable hooked up at all, the price to add a net connection that way was unjustifiable on my ultra-tight budget. Shortly after that, Verizon (my local phone service provider) finally added DSL to my area, but I judged the price was still too high to justify changing from dial-up.

[BTW, I got curious what the current % of US households with 'net access are still getting by with dial-up access; according to http://agentzoo.com/2010/02/17/over-57-per...ternet-service/ it's 17%, which is higher than I would have guessed]

Now, AT&T is making changes in how they handle dial-up, so I'm considering making some other changes in my phone/internet services. Verizon is currently offering a special on DSL for $19.99/month (speed up to 1 Mbps), & that price is locked in for 2 years.

However, just today, a Comcast rep knocked on my door & offered me a special promotional deal on local phone service (with unlimited long distance & several special features) & high-speed internet (6 Mbps, I believe) for $39.99/month (supposedly, not a limited-time offer, and with free installation if I respond by this weekend). I asked about the connection, and this is newish digital technology, and is a direct connection to my computer, not going through the cable TV circuits, with the possible speed slow-down if a lot of users are on line.

I have to admit, $40/month for local phone service plus a high-speed 'net connection is tempting. That is less than I'm paying now for fewer/poorer services. At least... if the Comcast offer is on the up & up & if they've improved their customer service some in the past couple of years.

So, anyone here have any current experience with Comcast, especially in regards to local phone service & their new high-speed internet access? Or, for that matter, with Verizon DSL service?

Should I finally jump off the cliff and leave behind the annoyingly slow but cheap & well-known world of dial-up, for the world of fast but always-on (& hence slightly more vulnerable to malware, etc.) broadband? :o

Regards,

Dako-ta

Messages In This Thread
Has Comcast improved their service & customer service? - by Dako-ta - 03-04-2010, 12:29 AM