Should the Lounge have a Waiting Period?
gekko, I don't understand how requiring an admin to approve a registration will help things. We have no idea when a new user joins (and there are anywhere between 5 to 10 new users PER DAY) if they're a quality poster just from their email address!

This is an age old question, and I've always sat firmly on one side of this fence: if you inhibit the joining of new users to an online community, yes you will detract the jerks (but still never reach 100% protection), but you will MOST DEFINITELY doom your community to stagnation. New people and new ideas are a necessity to the extreme!

What percentage of active Lounge posters were active Lounge posters in the first six months of this site's forum (or, more generally, active posters in Blizzard's Diablo Strategy Forum, which this site was originally based upon)? Three to five percent, tops. I couldn't keep interest the entire way through myself - if you missed it, this site closed for a while. Turnaround is normal, expected, and important. If you stem the flow of that turnaround, your community dies.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.

Messages In This Thread
Should the Lounge have a Waiting Period? - by Raz - 06-24-2003, 03:41 AM
Should the Lounge have a Waiting Period? - by Bolty - 06-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Should the Lounge have a Waiting Period? - by Guest - 06-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Should the Lounge have a Waiting Period? - by Ice - 06-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Should the Lounge have a Waiting Period? - by Ice - 06-25-2003, 06:17 PM