Galactic Civilizations.
Galactic Civilizations (a.k.a. GalCiv) is a 4x TBS game (Turn-Based Strategy). It's a very macro-management-oriented game, with a very intelligent (and difficult!) AI, and multiple types of Victory Conditions (Military, of course, as well as Technological and Culture).

I recently picked this game up, and have been very pleased with it thus far. It's a very fun, if rather difficult, game. Looks to be one of those "easy to learn, difficult to master" games. It's Single Player only, but it's gauranteed to keep you coming back for more, if TBS games are your thing. Also, the company who made it (Stardock / Strategy First) has "budgeted" an extra YEAR of development time, for various fixes, enhancements, and yes, even free "Bonus Packs". They feel that, rather than force you to pay for an Expansion Pack, they would rather just dish out all the extra goodies FOR FREE over a period of a year. They have VERY heavy fan input, and even allow you to beta test every patch they make, no matter how small. And they patch A LOT. For reference, when I went to bad last night, I was playing v1.05.068. When I got up this morning, they were up to 1.05.071. One rather severe crash bug (involving macro-management aid; basically, the bug, while completely avoidable, made large games extremely tedious, ala MoO3 style :P) was fixed, and they're constantly working to improve / expand upon the game.

If you're looking for a good strategy game, and don't have anything against TBS games, I highly recommend picking this little gem up. All in all, a very fun, solid game.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way (;)), anyone here have this game already? I'd REALLY be interested in comparing build orders for Social Projects, research orders for Technologies, and just general strategies and playstyles. What's your favorite style of play? Do you tend towards Good or Evil? Any tips on Military, Cultural, or Technological victories? What about game size, and style? What systems, planets, etc. do you usually generate the game with? How do you set up your political party, and how do you go about maintaining it?

Open up the discussion! I'm eager to hear people's comments. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*

Messages In This Thread
Galactic Civilizations. - by Roland - 06-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Quark - 06-13-2003, 09:44 PM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Kevin - 06-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Roland - 06-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Roland - 06-14-2003, 12:38 AM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Chaerophon - 06-14-2003, 03:52 AM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Roland - 06-14-2003, 04:33 AM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Kevin - 06-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Chaerophon - 06-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Galactic Civilizations. - by Roland - 06-15-2003, 12:11 AM