any good sorcerer guides out there?
...mages don't need guides. :) Honestly, they're not too complicated.

i would like a guide to talk more about equipment i should wear...

Mage Checklist
0) TFoS -- mandatory for all characters, even if not worn
1) Mana -- derived from magic statistic and equipment bonuses
2) Resists -- equipment bonus
3) Natural spell levels -- read books
4a) Maximum or High spell levels -- tends to be mutually exclusive with 4b
4b) High AC -- tends to be mutually exclusive with 4a
5) Fireball, Chain Lightning, Mana Shield, Teleport
6) Stone Curse, Golem, Civerb's Cudgel or "other" statue-bashing weapon

If you want High AC (at least 270 recommended), hoard good +Strength or +All jewelry until you can reach 90 strength. Look for Awesome or Saintly Full Plates, Royal Circlet, and Stormshield. Dreamflange is the most common channeling weapon, but Wizardspike or some magical thing can do in a pinch.

If you want maximum spell levels, hoard good ResAll/Magic and Mana/Magic jewelry. Look for Naj's Light Plate, Arch-Angel's staves (mostly Adria), and Thinking Cap. Some mages substitute Dreamflange for the AA staff. If using Dreamflange, a good Resist All shield (especially Emerald) can free up a slot for +Mana on jewelry.

The rest is strategy, but there are other articles for that.

and the best way to find spell books and such.

Mage's most powerful spells (except Teleport and perhaps(?) Golem; see above checklist, #5) are available from bookshelves in Catacombs. But most people buy books from Adria. Cats runs aren't the most stimulating way a mage can spend his time.

For the other equipment, Laz runs will eventually deliver everything your heart desires. Civerb's Cudgel and Thinking Cap may be most easily found from Normal Church runs, however. (Hell bosses drop Dreamflange instead of CC.)

i hear people talking about shopping at wirt, but i dont really know anything about what he can sell and if it is worth it.

To mages, Emerald and Holy/Godly shields are his most interesting wares. He might have a decent statue-bashing weapon from time to time, too. If such things interest you, check him when you enter a game. I certainly wouldn't recommend monotonous shopping, though.

i bought something from him and it was crap, but i guess once in a while you could get a good item.

I find his items interesting as novelty, but naught else. I still have a nice Godly Rags of the Ages he sold me. They're like TFoS, only non-sentient. And it takes up a blasphemous 6 inventory spaces.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]

Messages In This Thread
any good sorcerer guides out there? - by Cyriene - 06-12-2003, 08:08 AM
any good sorcerer guides out there? - by Feryar - 06-12-2003, 08:43 AM
any good sorcerer guides out there? - by Fragbait - 06-12-2003, 11:49 AM
any good sorcerer guides out there? - by LemmingofGlory - 06-12-2003, 07:53 PM
any good sorcerer guides out there? - by Walkiry - 06-13-2003, 09:15 AM