Mamas, don't let yore babies . . .
You really have gotten me thinking, goldfish. :) Not so much about lawyers and their work, but on the 'mamas, don't let yore babies' part.

Would I want my sons to become lawyers? Would I encourage them to head in that direction if they told me that was what they wanted?

I don't really want to 'steer' them in any particular direction. And yet ...

I have found myself doing some of it anyway. I think it must be something that mothers are compelled to do. :o The bottom line is that we want them to be happy and self-sufficient, but at the same time we think we have insights as to what will make that happen for them.

My eldest has one more year of high school to go. He has a definite mechanical bent (things he takes apart and puts back together again actually work). He does reasonably well at math and sciences. His drama teacher tells me he has a flair for acting, stage management and directing. (Who knew I could produce such an offspring?) I don't want to preclude him from going any direction he desires, in terms of careers.

And yet ...

In these days, a career is not the same thing as it used to be. A series of 'careers' is more like reality. To add another wrinkle to the fabric, the cost of an education has skyrocketed, at least here in Canada. I managed to escape university life with an M.B.A. and a mere $10,000 of debt. Tuition has risen considerably in the intervening years. I would not be surprised to hear that your education debt is MUCH higher than that.

So, with that in mind, I have suggested he take a look at learning to be a tower crane operator/repairer. It is a wonderful job for a young man. Demand is high and supply is very low. The pay is remarkable. The travel opportunities are equally remarkable. It is certainly something I think he could do well. Self-employment and stability are certainly possible.

More importantly, the 'cost' of finding out whether this is right for him is minimal, compared to the cost to you of finding out now, should that be the case, that you really don't want to be a lawyer.

Enough rambling! The short version really is: "Thanks for making me take some time to think." :)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Messages In This Thread
Mamas, don't let yore babies . . . - by goldfish - 06-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Mamas, don't let yore babies . . . - by channel1 - 06-07-2003, 06:18 AM
Mamas, don't let yore babies . . . - by kandrathe - 06-07-2003, 06:49 AM
Mamas, don't let yore babies . . . - by goldfish - 06-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Mamas, don't let yore babies . . . - by goldfish - 06-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Mamas, don't let yore babies . . . - by Baylan - 06-10-2003, 12:08 AM