Noticed something with King Leoric.
I've been doing a number of solo Ironman runs lately as a Warrior and Rogue, and Leo has always been a significant obstacle for me. I always tense up when I enter dlvl3, knowing that he could show up and ruin my day at any time. I've had varied results against him, not due to my equipment or stats, but now what I believe is due to a physical change in Leo's stats and his AI.

From what I've noticed, Leo has two AI's.

#1: Passive AI: Leo will take the most direct route to get to you. Leo will show varied degrees of waiting and patience, and sometimes you can get him in a position where he will not make a move for as long as 15 seconds. This is a great opportunity for the Rogue to bring him down, as long as she's careful not to get caught off guard when he starts moving again.

#2: Aggressive AI: When Leo gets within range he will circle around the targeted hero, constantly on the move, not allowing an attack. When he closes enough distance he will beeline directly for the targeted hero, and when enough distance is gained he will start circling again. It's almost impossible for the Rogue to attack while he's doing this.

My standards for facing Leo as a Warrior are Lv9, 56 Dex, 34 Str, Morning Star and about 25AC. I've recorded four different results with these average stats, two when he was moving with Passive AI, and two when he was moving and Aggressive AI.

Passive #1: Two potions consumed, Leo dead. Dropped a Long Sword.
Passive #2: No potions consumed, Leo dead. Dropped RoE.
Aggressive #1: Entire belt consumed, Leo dead. Dropped Chain Mail.
Aggressive #2: Entire potion stock consumed, heal scrolls consumed, died to Leo.

This still needs some testing, but what I've noticed is that Aggressive Leo has considerably more AC and is therefore significantly harder to hit, as 9 out of 10 of my swings at 78% ToHit would whiff, yet I would hit about 1/3 when he was Passive. So a Warrior against Aggressive Leo is pretty much a death sentence in Iron Man, since he will simply leech more life off of you than you can damage him for, and the only option is to wait it out until he shifts to Passive, then take the fight to him. Same with the Rogue, since she'll never be able to score a hit against him in Aggressive AI, since he's constantly on the move.

Like I said, I still need to research this. I wonder if anyone could help me look into this. Thoughts?
[Image: poundfinal.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Noticed something with King Leoric. - by Foxhound3857 - 04-26-2010, 02:53 AM