Windows Security Question
I have the feeling this is a dumb question, but I am not smart enough to be sure:

My problem is that I am unable to access zipped files on a workgroup from the right pane of Windows 7 Windows Explorer. I am running as administrator. Every other type of file I've tried works OK, but not zip files. Left or right clicking on a zip file gives a Windows Security error "These files can't be opened" Your Internet security settings prevented one or more of these files from being opened."

I believe this behavior is new with Windows 7 SP1 and/or IE9, but I am not sure. My workaround was to use an admistrator command prompt to copy the file to a local disc and then unzip it, however I since noticed that I can access and unzip the original file from the *left* pane of the same Explorer window. Great security!

How can I configure Windows to let me access a zip file (or preferably any file) on a workgroup share from the right pane of Windows Explorer the same as I can access a file on a local disc? I've looked through group polices and I can't find any relevant setting.

Edit:

I found a workaround: in IE security settings I had to enable the option "Launching applications and unsafe files".
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."

Messages In This Thread
Windows Security Question - by LavCat - 05-06-2011, 10:06 PM
RE: Windows Security Question - by Jim - 05-07-2011, 11:54 PM
RE: Windows Security Question - by LavCat - 05-08-2011, 12:21 AM
RE: Windows Security Question - by --Pete - 05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
RE: Windows Security Question - by Crusader - 05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
RE: Windows Security Question - by LavCat - 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM