The effect of generational shift and technology on post secondary education
(06-04-2011, 10:12 PM)Jester Wrote: I'll take a closer look at the issues in a minute, but for your last trend, the increase in ADHD diagnoses, that is almost certainly a diagnostic issue, rather than an actual heath crisis.
I agree. Although, there may be some increase due to the same environmental factors causing the increases in Autism Spectrum Disorders. (http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html)

I suspect the difference is in closer observation of childhood psychology and learning differences. And... There is a direct correlation in the incidence of diagnosis, and the parent's insurance companies willingness to pay for treatment. So, I would guess that these "difficult" students have always been a part of the population, but were never diagnosed or treated medically in the past. The use of stimulants on children is still controversial.

Increasing Prevalence of Parent-Reported Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Among Children --- United States, 2003 and 2007

For my research, I think it is clear that these psychological differences will be classified in the DSM V, and so they will qualify as disabilities under the ADA. As I see it, educational institutions have two options. Either embrace the change, lead and develop the capability to best serve these students, or drag their feet, and minimize the financial impact. So, it is immaterial as to whether there is a health crisis, the law (ADA) will require us to provide services to this increasing demographic. I think the question I would pose to upper management would be how we will prepare, and respond to the increased needs, and costs. My recommendation will be to follow the compassionate course, and to seek grants and aid for helping those in need.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The effect of generational shift and technology on post secondary education - by kandrathe - 06-05-2011, 12:34 AM