Thoughts on how to improve the current system
(11-22-2011, 08:16 AM)eppie Wrote: Yes this whole winner takes all thing is a bit strange. I mean the states have their own government already so no sense in making the federal elections have a 'state-segment' in it as well.
It's because we are a Republic.

Each state is supposed to have Senators representing the State's issues, rather than merely the States populist issues. Post Civil War, and culminating in about 1912, many states had implemented the reform in their states and called for an amendment. However, I think it was short sighted. The unintended consequence was that it shifted power away from states legislatures, and increased the power of the federal government. The role of the states legislatures is federal politics has been replaced with special interest groups, unions, and corporations petitioning senators directly. And... since now both houses of Congress are beholden to populism, they pass laws for every popular concern, whether or not it is in the best interest of the people, or the states. I'd be in favor of repealing the 17th amendment, but... If wishes were fishes, then pigs would fly.

So, nothing new. Instead of cleaning up the real mess, they pushed it off onto the federal government. Federalists finally win.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts on how to improve the current system - by kandrathe - 11-22-2011, 03:18 PM