Thoughts on how to improve the current system
(11-21-2011, 06:09 AM)kandrathe Wrote:
Quote:SCHOOLS
Children here in this country of school age must attend a state or private run institution of their choice until the 12th grade. ...
I would like to see parents receive vouchers, and enroll their children in the best school for their child. There needs to be more rationality to the level of co-curricular activities in schools. I'd like to see our tax funding mostly to curricular activities, and leave funding the co-curricular activities to the community.

The current system rewards the schools for how many children are enrolled. I don't see how a voucher system would solve anything? If instead you suggest parents might go to whichever school were "better", and schools would have to jockey for the attention of said parents, then schools would need a way to advertise which would mean increased revenue. Perhaps if this would happen, schools should allows commercials and advertising to be put up? Just a thought?

Quote:MILITARY
A mandatory military service of 2.5 years ...
No. I'd like to see more 18 year old graduates, become entrepreneurs. It would be a much better use of the money to send the best and the brightest to college, vocational school, or a low interest business loan program. A country with a 25 million person army, is just more likely to use it.

Quote:Once their time is the Military is served, reformed individuals ...
Reformed? From being young?

I was unclear in my suggestion. I was foreseeing the potential of serving in the armed forces as an opportunity for young Americans to learn respect for each other, our nation, and break down as much ignorance and racism that grows in parts of this great country. I saw time in service as an means of unifying Americans, and then giving them opportunity later in life through paid-for college. To me, this is an ideal situation.

Quote:ILLEGALS
On that note, both the Canadian and Mexican border should be removed completely. Citizens in North America should receive a pass, as they have in Europe, to travel around the continent and work freely.
No. You cannot control your legal system if you cannot control your borders. However, I agree roughly with your assessment. My solution would be to more vigorously fine the people who hire illegal workers, and remove the incentive. Secondly, to streamline the process of obtaining a work visa, and the citizenship process. Third, to vastly increase the number of allowed immigrants, especially those who already have the skills we need in our work force.

Ultimately, I'd like to see a one-world government, without boarders, without poverty, without slavery. But this would not be for a long, long time, and not in my foreseeable lifetime.

Quote:FOREIGN RELATIONS... let countries ... fight their own battles. ...
I like the idea, but I think it needs to be a weaning rather than a cold Turkey situation. Like it or not, the US chose to be the great stabilizer after WWII. We see our role as interventionists, because of the global consequences of isolationism. The pendulum has swung too far toward involving ourselves in every brush fire wherever it flares up, rather than encouraging and helping our allies in tamping down local issues. It means giving (up) power to peace oriented regional coalitions, (like the Arab league, African union, EU, etc. ) to help manage their own local issues. But, also in enabling those regional peace keeping coalitions by providing training, equipment, strategies, etc.

That is a good strategy too. I rather like that concept, a slow weaning. I'll have to change my position on this based on your input Big Grin .
(11-21-2011, 08:38 AM)Jester Wrote: The problem is Duverger's Law.

So what America needs is stronger parties then?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts on how to improve the current system - by Taem - 12-27-2011, 04:38 AM