Thoughts on how to improve the current system
(12-27-2011, 11:28 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Slavery (sex trade) is rampant in the US, more than we "know". One side of it is that we are wealthy, and so we can afford to "offer" seeming huge sums of wealth in exchange for people. The solution isn't to make everyone too poor, but rather to 1) expose it, and 2) help lift up the poor nations. You don't see Europeans, and Americans buying Norwegians. But, you do see Europeans, and Americans buying Latino, and Asian slaves. A one world government wouldn't eliminate this disparity between wealthy and poor, and it may just exacerbate it.

From what I understand, sexual slavery is actually quite rare. While something so abhorrent should be dealt with, the idea that it constitutes a large-scale problem is, from what I understand, mostly a moral panic. Many sex workers illegally move across borders, and many work for illegal organizations, but this is distinct from slavery - and a problem that would be almost entirely eliminated by open borders and a legal sex trade.

Do we have numbers to back up a claim that it is "rampant"?

As for the claim that a one-world government might increase disparity, I disagree. There is no single policy that the world could adopt that would do more to reduce global inequality than open borders. Add in a tariff-free world, and inter-region inequality would drop dramatically. The effect on social inequality is ambiguous, but it would have to come from the richest getting richer, because the world has about 1 billion people who are as poor as it gets - it is their fate that is most important, and they would certainly gain income.

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts on how to improve the current system - by Jester - 12-27-2011, 10:49 PM