I'm confused about the American Republican party
The first rule of politics ... say what you think will get you elected ... then worry about results later. It's noteworthy that many US Prez's had "action on the side" so-to-speak. Then there's the whole Wiener thing... spawning the Spirit Airlines "To Hard to Resist" sale. Impropriety is not limited to one particular party... most recently, the Dems had Clinton and well there's candidate Gingrich on the other side.

Biggest thing about religion on politics seems to be that people in certain parts of the country cling tightly to reactionary christianity. I recall the congregation of the ~6,500 member baptist church in my hometown of Naples, FL. Very easily led/misled group. When you tightly close off your mind and focus on the rantings of the bible-thumper in the pulpit and his version of "reality" you quickly lose touch with what's really going on.

Soon you're screaming for the banning/burning of books and the use of the bible as a textbook for history, etc. along with the teaching of intelligent design and creationism. Thing is, from a biological engineering standpoint, the human body ain't so great

Last time I checked, they were still screaming about giving children the HPV vaccine because it might encourage fornication. Some still believe the Earth is only ~4,500 years old or so. Some still probably believe that angel/human hybrids roamed the Earth.

Every day, lots of barrels of North Dakota crude are pumped from the ground of Northwest North Dakota. Each drop is vastly older than what some parts of the moral majority believe to be the age of the Earth.

From my limited travels to Sask., it seems that Canadians aren't quite as attached to such things as the moral majority.

The biggest irony of the "conservatives" these days: the U.S. should be christian, the U.S. government should be christian, etc. Despite their claims for small government and less regulation, they seem to have no issue with telling others what they should or should not believe.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm confused about the American Republican party - by Tris - 02-11-2012, 05:11 AM