I'm confused about the American Republican party
(02-16-2012, 03:58 PM)eppie Wrote: Just to say that it is not only the US that has such a system.
I have been in leadership positions for about 20 years. In that time what I've learned most crucially is that whatever you create, you must then tend. It costs money to create things, and then a smaller portion each year to maintain it. Most things have a limited lifespan as well, so you must plan ahead to replace this creation.

Politicians often use populism to promote really impractical things. This is why I believe that there are some things, like parks, which are better tended by governments, and other things, like a website such as Facebook, which are better tended to by private enterprises.

What works best in the US, is when Federal things stay at the Federal level, State things are handled at the State level, and local things are left to the local level. We have our share of boondoggles, but in general, successive administrations don't really undo things unless they are truely wasteful or garishly impractical.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm confused about the American Republican party - by kandrathe - 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM