Devil in the Details - Episode 7
Let me start by repeating what I said in my other post. That referring to it as rushing is unfair due to the character keeping the same level as the item drops. It is simply the wrong word for it, but I can't think of a better one and so it gets used. It is a bit of an inherent problem with labeling. Labeling is a form of generalization and we all know generalization is bad. Yet labeling does help cut down on word count which a poster like myself really needs sometimes. Alas no matter what label we would settle on there would be somebody who found it to be the wrong one and insulting to them. That is the nature of the beast. So I shall use the label we have and call it rushing even though I do agree it is not the correct one for it.

I've been giving it some thought as to why it feels like rushing to me. What I have decided is that one full clear of all zones is simply counter to my feel for how a Diablo game should be played. My feeling is that half the point of a Diablo game is the requirement to replay zones in the effort of getting better gear. Now I freely grant that this is only my feeling for it. It may run counter to other players, the designers themselves, and every other being in existence. I mean to give no weight to it beyond it being how I solely feel.

That said, I do feel a Diablo game is such that a person should have to replay areas for gear before advancing on to more difficult areas. So thus the play style of clearing everything once and then moving on involves progressing at a pace faster than I feel a Diablo game should be played at. It runs counter to my preconceived notions (also always a bad thing btw) and so thus feels like rushing.

To sum up, I'm using a preconceived notion (a bad internal trait) to refer to something by a label (a bad external trait) and basing an argument upon that. So I freely admit I'm standing on shaky ground with all of this. That said, we are talking about feeling... which is emotion... and thus doesn't generally follow logical nor reasonable paths. So I end up with the statement that playing every single zone one time only before moving on feels like rushing to me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by swirly - 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by Roland - 06-05-2012, 03:52 AM
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by FoxBat - 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by swirly - 06-05-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by Treesh - 06-05-2012, 02:13 AM