Any Sports Fans here on the Lounge?
I'm sure I've probably asked this before, but I'm asking again, mainly, because I want to steer away from the Fiscal Cliff talk, as I fall.. asle.. sorry, I nodded off there.

Anyway, Recently The Front Office Stooge of the Cleveland Indians told a Season Ticket Holder that if his only reason for buying Season Tickets was to see the Indians win, he shouldn't come to games.

Now, on one hand, i get the "Ambiance" argument for going to a game. Going to a game is an experience.

But on the other hand, Most Season Ticket Holders are dropping down somewhere between 1500 and 3k for season ticket(s) to an indians game. That's a hefty investment into a "team", and the comments are coming from a man who harps about how "Small Market" the Indians are. To a lot of fans, myself included, it took the idea that the Indians care more about the "Experience" of going to the park, than they do about getting to witness the team win.

And by win, we Indians fans aren't talking games. We're talking about winning, going to the post season.

The idea that he would even then go on to defend his comments, is just... well, it's not playing out well here. Cleveland Sports Fans are a die hard bunch, but the new ownership of the Indians isn't doing much to keep them fans. If you go to a game, you'll probably get some free giveaway at the gate, and if you go to a weekend homestand, you will see some of the most impressive fireworks after the game that you will ever see.

But as far as an on the field product? It's lacking. The business model that they have clung so desperately to, also, is starting to show signs of "not being right". The Indians rank as the 21st market by size (out of 30) in Baseball. Recently, 3 teams in smaller markets have shown that the Cleveland idea of not being able to retain talent, and that you can't sign monster contracts just isn't true.

The Tampa Bay Rays, which I have a fascination from in many facets, not just as a normal fan, are proving it wrong. They are in the 28th market by size, and this week, just inked one of their home grown stars to a contract that will (barring trade) make him a Ray for the rest of his career. The price tag? 100+ Million, and he's signed until 2021.

The Milwaukee Brewers, the are just one spot better than the rays at #27, and have inked their homegrown star, Ryan Braun (lets leave the PED discussion out of this) through 2020.

The Cincinnati Reds, #26, have their star first baseman inked through 2021 as well.

And none of these teams are handcuffed by the deals, and are added young, star talent around them. Of course, none of them are able to keep talent long term, but they are able to build a nucleus, and work with that, shedding what they can, keeping what is possible, and competing.

These teams are in smaller markets, signing and retaining their stars, and being competitive. Indians fans know we aren't going to see a "dynasty" like the Yankees. We know that. We're ok with that. BUt to see the team with their head in the sand, and telling their fans that it needs to be about more than just winning. I would love to talk to Herm Edwards about that.

The remarks, were one thing, and if he had backed away from them, I wouldn't have such ire, but with his defense of them, I'm just left feeling like... Why bother? Why should I bother to take my kids to the game? Why should I continue to support and be a fan of an organization that is woefully behind the times?

Like I said, I like the Rays, I can catch their games on ESPN/FOX/and when they play the Indians. I was in Tampa visiting Family when they started out their first year, and that left me with a... "bond" so to speak for the team. I've enjoyed watching them since. Not just for their on the field deicisions that have kept them competitive with two teams that have noticeably larger payrolls, and markets (NY and Bos), but everything about their organization. They have the best Social Media Department of ANY Professional Sports team (at least in the US), they have great ethics, They have a great attitude, They get it. They have put into place a team and an organization that maximizes everything they can. I find myself more interested by them than Cleveland anymore.

This coming on the heels of their FANTASTIC managerial hire. I just feel like this move cut the legs right out from under him.

The article also talks about the grumblings the Indians have for why the Browns get a "free pass". Which, if they really believe that, they aren't paying attention. Browns fans are a loyal rabid bunch, but if the Tribe thinks we are all sitting around and singing kum ba yah about their woes, they look more like these three

[Image: Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil.jpg]

Than we feared. I mean, Browns fans are so irritable about the team, that on Twitter, there is a hugely successful "Fake Pat Shurmur" account that lampoons the coach, and the hashtag #shurmured, where we vent our frustrations over the way the games go.

The problem that the Indians have when compared to the browns is two fold.

1.) We can't blame the browns not competing on small market. There is a salary cap in football, and also a salary minimum. This make the chance for parity in the league greater, and takes away the crutch the Indians have been using. WE just have to blame our poor performances on what it really is: Bad Ownership, Bad Coaching, Bad Recruitng, and poor performance.

2.) The Browns play 8 regular season, and 2 preseason home games a year. Those 8 regular season games are a REAL experience. From tailgating, to the game, to the dawg pound, to the after game nightlife, it's just not the same kind of experience that you can create 81 times a year. So some of the ambiance and revelry, and "mystique" of the game dies off a little when it is so diluted.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Really, I'm just trying to find out if other people think that Shapiro's comments were as dumb, stupid, idiotic, misinformed, missing the boat, and terrible as what I, and many fans think they were.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
Any Sports Fans here on the Lounge? - by shoju - 11-30-2012, 05:41 PM
RE: Any Sports Fans here on the Lounge? - by Taem - 12-02-2012, 07:29 AM
RE: Any Sports Fans here on the Lounge? - by Tal - 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM
RE: Any Sports Fans here on the Lounge? - by Tal - 12-13-2012, 09:13 PM