Discipline Priests
So I'm getting a little concerned that Priest options are really Holy for AOE Raid Healing and Shadow for DPS. I'm not sure that many players now understand much about the role of discipline priests. I think Holy priests, resto Shamans, Holy Paladins, resto Druids, and Mistweaver monks will probably all out heal a discipline priest, and Disc priest DPS is insufferably abysmal.

For reference, I've studied, crunched, and consumed this entire thread; from Elitist Jerks. From what I can tell, the discipline priests silver bullet is high spirit, and mastery, with spirit shell and prayer of healing coupled with atonement and divine aegis.

The Icy-Veins guide is an ok brief, but I think it under emphasizes our effectiveness at shields in "Tank or Single Target Healing".

Looking at the guild rosters of us and our friends (Lurkers, Emeritus, Basin, etc), there are about 20 priests at level 90 with 14 choosing shadow and the other options split about 3 each.

Then, looking in WOL at top healers by class/spec; There is this guy Maggnys who mainly heals by Atonement (side effect), Divine Aegis (auto shield buff), then Prayer of Healing -- which auto crits if you preclude is with Spirit Shell.

My conclusion is that people expect a priest to show up as #1 on the healing list, whereas my peak damage prevention does not get that much notice (where I feel discipline shines). In a raid situation, I would expect to pick up the role of damage mitigation for situations with raid wide spammed damage, not for pure healing assignments if there are healers better suited for those healing roles. I feel a holy paladin, resto druid, or mistweaver monk will be better at pure healing for tanks, and resto shaman, and holy priests are better for Raid AOE healing.

Should I abandon discipline and move to DPS shadow? And then, bring my Mistweaver up to 90 for healing? It just makes me feel kind of sad when the best advice you get is to go hit the PUGs.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Discipline Priests - by kandrathe - 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM
RE: Discipline Priests - by Tuftears - 01-08-2013, 02:20 AM
RE: Discipline Priests - by Bolty - 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM