Citizen's United II - the other foot
This may be worthy of some political discussion.

In the sequel, we find two Hillary biopics planned respectively by CNN and NBC, which would run during the 2016 election cycle or just before. Media now being politically free to actively campaign for or against are preparing for the next US presidential campaign cycle.

For me, I don't accept the argument that there should be restrictions on media's 1st amendment rights to broadcast any film, even a fawning one, during a campaign. That’s the Obama argument. Now it’s being used against Hillary. It's popular to try to distill CU into a slogan, like "corporations aren't people". But, that fails to grasp the complexity of how law applies to organized legal associations and groups (ala. bodies, or the corpus of incorporation).

I am both mildly shocked and amused by the hypocrisy of both sides. The one side for cheering Citizens United decision, but complaining of its inevitable result being used against them. And, the other, for so vociferously denouncing the Citizens United decision, but then jumping on the free speech band wagon (since you know it will be actively used by the other side).

Both sides reveal their shortage of principle and virtue. But, meanwhile reinforce our prejudices that our politicians act only in what is in their self interest, while grandstanding on those same issues only for personal gain.

What I see at stake is the fight over the freedom of speech, whether it's the US government's attempts at silencing whistle blowers, or a recent civil suits lifetime gag order on the children (7 & 10) in a family, or being allowed to voice support or criticize political candidates. Or, my right to even reveal my thoughts here on this forum.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Citizen's United II - the other foot - by kandrathe - 08-07-2013, 06:08 PM