Citizen's United II - the other foot
(08-21-2013, 03:49 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: I believe that you believe you're just talking about one, focused topic. But I have quite the trouble actually believing that when you end the first post with ' Or, my right to even reveal my thoughts here on this forum.'
I'm not being Cassandra here. It's hard for me to understand how people don't see the interconnectedness of something like CU, and what happened to David Miranda, and forcing them to trash hard drives at the Guardian or be effectively shut down. I'm addressing the freedom to speak, and in that case through media (tv, cable, film, books, newspaper, internet, etc.) I also don't understand how we became nations that tolerate the government wire tapping the AP or using agents "to send a message" to people who are lawful. If they are breaking the law, then use the courts. While we have had the ability to capture, store, and analyze things like fingerprints, voices, photos, or DNA, we are facing the intersection of those abilities with the technological means to make that analysis and communication of it almost instantaneous. There are some very serious challenges to peoples ability to remain private, with very loose definitions about what IS reasonable for the government to keep an eye on, so to speak.

It has been attempted in law already to make web site owners, or ISP's that host those sites responsible for what we say on their web sites. If that ever happens, they will have no choice but to stop allowing us to speak for liability reasons alone. Who will be able to speak then? Why corporations of course, who can afford the lawyers to defend their speech rights, and who have the many dollars needed to engage the only outlets allowed for speech.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Citizen's United II - the other foot - by kandrathe - 08-21-2013, 05:07 PM