Pacific Rim, the movie spacifically.
(10-18-2013, 05:04 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Just so we can be clear - it's Gipsy Danger

I thought it was the other, referencing the airplane. Then again, the airplane also had both spelling. But thanks for that clarification at least.

Quote:I thought the source was Godzilla movies?

Just IMO I think definitely Godzilla plus Giant Robots. Del Toro says he didn't want an overt copy of Godzilla, I'd be as generous as I can see him going to the same wellspring as Japanese giant monster movies in general. But I'd say there's definitely 'Godzilla-esque' parts at least.

Found an interesting blog\article on it. The video clip below it has a Del Toro interview excerpt. Got some slight swears so slight NSFW warning. No F-bombs or anything though. (But pretty funny Del Toro quips.)

http://www.filmindependent.org/blogs/fil...mDFtRBIqHs

from the link:
Quote:On celebrating technology:
I was born almost at the same time as Gigantor … the first great mecha in the history of anime. The thing that I love and I wanted to celebrate here—it’s a true celebration—is the Japanese relationship with technology has none of the ambivalence and the guilt of the West’s relationship with technology where we say, “ultimately technology is bad and, fear of Frankenstein, will turn against us.” The celebration in mecha is complete. They have a complete admiration for the robot figure, and they become these gigantic mythic figures.

Quote:Yeah, I would love to have seen more Jaegers kicking Kaiju ass - especially Cherno.

For sure. I usually hate expanded universe\prequels, but I think there's definitely strong potentials here.

Ok I kinda have to mention this side note. It's not new, but I guess it evolved, sorta. In my youth it was direct to video 'homages'. The 'mockbuster'. It's the 5 dollar genuwine 'Ghucci' wallet of cinema. The better ones might cost more, up to 15 dollars. Tongue

And there is one for this movie. 'Atlantic Rim'. It has Graham Greene (hey I don't hate, a man's gotta eat). But I was curious after reading this blurb of a review.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/atla...z2i3N5naVx

Quote:..... their own enthusiastically goofball cinematic beast: the ultimate monster movie about booze-hounding broskis in battle bots saving New York City from a crazy-eyed giant sea beast that frequently appears to be merely a lost animal, confused and irritated that these metal men won’t stop hitting it.

As added comedy bonus, the video trailer in the link would not load up for me. Reason given : The studio says it has blocked it in my country due to copyright grounds. A mockbuster studio says I can't watch their mockbuster trailer, on copyright issues.

Now let's just say due to the magic of innernets, it's available. That is to say, it is possible to view the whole thing. But I wasn't able to. Technically I could. But I couldn't, as a viewer.

I'm not even talking about legalities of copyrights. I'm talking about on humanitarian grounds. And I'm a guy who understands that these things are a sometimes unappreciated, but serves a need type of film farm team. Ie: Roger Corman films is where James Cameron got his start. So did many people.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23528/8-...ilm-school

This particular mockbuster however, I think broke me. I couldn't do anymore than 15 minutes consecutively.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pacific Rim, the movie spacifically. - by Hammerskjold - 10-18-2013, 07:03 AM