So the Pope is a marxist.... (wait for it)
(12-03-2013, 04:46 PM)kandrathe Wrote: The mainline Christian concept is that compassion is crucial, and worldly things (like wealth) are not crucial. To pursue worldly things over faith is considered idolatry (not so much the calf now, but the gold).

I know all of this, probably more than the average person. I attended Roman Catholic schools well into high school. I've read the Bible more than once, cover to cover. I was an altar boy for a few years.

I remember watching Pat Robertson launching into a diatribe against the Mars Pathfinder mission in 1996. I was just idly flipping through channels and came upon his broadcast. He was saying that Earth belongs to Man, but the Heavens belong to God - so any interest in anything beyond our atmosphere is akin to idolatry. He said that the space-seeking idolaters should be stoned to death. His message was broadcast to me via satellite.

Pat Robertson is absolutely filthy rich, based almost solely on begging for money from his followers in the name of Christianity. His use of that money to make more money is questionable at best, and criminal at worst.

None of what Pat Robertson says jives with what I was taught about the Bible and Christian beliefs. He sits upon a throne of gold and judges those that he deems unworthy. He gets away with it because of his vast wealth. If that's not idolatry, I don't know what it.

This describes almost 100% of the Christian politicians (and head talkers like Rush and O'Reilly), and it makes me facepalm. They are so incredibly hypocritical that it makes my head hurt. They are rich, yet strive to take away or prevent benefits for the poor. Healthcare for the poor? Nope. Feed the hungry? Nope. Educate the poor? Not a chance.

My Christian education taught me that the poorest among us deserve the best that we can give them.

Prosperity theology is just an excuse that rich Christians use to justify their greed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So the Pope is a marxist.... (wait for it) - by DeeBye - 12-04-2013, 04:06 AM